Sunday, June 22, 2008

Changes...

I have always been someone who looks forward to changes. I like to visit new places, try new foods, and I am often rearranging my furniture at home or in my class. Now don't get me wrong, I am big on traditions too. There are lots of things I don't want to budge on. I also like to change things on my terms. I want to make the plans and see them through. Over the past few years, I have grown to understand that I don't always get to plan when these changes will take place. I don't always understand why God makes me wait when I am ready to move on. In time it always makes sense but in the moment, I usually get a little impatient and frustrated.

This last year was really tough for me in a lot of ways. The most difficult aspect of this last year was work. It was just one of those years. I couldn't have had another one like it this year. When I finally made it through the year, Matt and I were focusing on what kind of changes we wanted to make to improve our lives. We thought about moving to Bristol to the FREE house waiting for us. Did I mention that this house is on the lake and was built only 2 years ago? There is a pictue of Matt, Carter, and Wayne taken at the creek about 200 feet from the house on my father's day post. We also though about staying here. As a matter of fact I applied for jobs in Bristol and surrounding systems and transfers in Knox County. I really prayed and asked for God's guidance in the decisions that we would need to make. If I get a job in Bristol do I move and let Matt stay here until he finds a job? Do we sell the house or try to rent it? If I get a job here, do I take it? What if I take it and then Bristol calls and offers a job? What if nothing happens and next year is even harder at school?!!

While I was trying to play the "what if" game, I was also really trying to turn things over to God. That's not easy for me. Remember, I like to be in charge. That's probably why I like teaching. I am in charge of about 20 little people all day long. If something isn't working, I can change the way we do it.

I also thought about all the times in my life when I was looking for what was going to come next, instead of fully enjoying where I was. When I was in high school, I couldn't wait to be more independent and move off to college. When I was in college, I couldn't wait to get married and start teaching. When I was living in an apartment I couldn't wait for us to buy a house. All of these stages were wonderful, but I didn't always appreciate them at the time.

I have to say that when I began focusing on turning things over to God everything became a lot more clear. I have more peace. My life is great, even though it is far from perfect. I am accepting the flaws and working on them.

As far as the big decisions in my life, I feel like God helped me out there. I just started a job at a Cedar Bluff Elementary School where I am teaching Kindergarten. The new building is being finished this year and I love my huge brand new room! It has an office and a huge closet! I will miss some wonderful friends and mentors at Pond Gap but I am ready for this change. I think God knew that I needed a new path to follow.

The week after I went on my interview for the postion at CBE, I began feeling sick. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, I just felt nauseaus all day. Of course (as you know by now), I was pregnant. Another way God was showing me he was in control! We just assumed we would have to go back to a specialist to make it a reality. This baby is such a blesssing. We had wanted a little brother or sister for Carter for a while. I am so glad that we did not have to wait as long or go through all the struggles that we went through before.

I am not the only one with big changes- Matt is going back to school. He started the MBA program at King College last week. He drives to Bristol for class once a week and spends the night. He is really enjoying the learning and I know he is going to do great!Carter also started preschool. We were so lucky to have Holly adopt him as her own the past two years, I was afraid we wouldn't find anything that we would be satisfied with. We still miss Holly, but he is doing well at his new school.

I am humbled by all of the ways our family is experiencing blessings right now. I hope that all of my friends and family who have showed me the example of truly turning things over to God will understand what an impact you have made in my life. I feel blessed to have such wonderful people to go on life's journey with. I pray that you are all well and will continue to live for Him.


Carter's first day at school! He loves his backpack. He left it on for the first 30 minutes each day that first week.

Thanks for taking pictures Matt! I had to be at work :(.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am so glad that life/God has opened up a great path for you and your family. You deserve all the happiness in the world! It feels so good when the decisions have finally been made and even better when you know that God's hand is in them. I am so excited that life is offering you so much happiness right now! Much love!